[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

Allen allenpmd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 00:29:46 EDT 2017

> (III) IMPLEMENT ACTIVE OR PASSIVE ECCM USED TO COUNTER ACTS OF COMMUNICATION
> DISRUPTION (E.G., RADIOS THAT INCORPORATE HAVE QUICK I/II, SINCGARS, SATURN);
> (IV) SPECIALLY DESIGNED, RATED, CERTIFIED, OR OTHERWISE SPECIFIED OR
> DESCRIBED TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH U.S. GOVERNMENT NSTISSAM TEMPEST
> 1-92 STANDARDS OR CNSSAM TEMPEST 01-02, TO IMPLEMENT TECHNIQUES TO
> SUPPRESS COMPROMISING EMANATIONS OF INFORMATION BEARING SIGNALS;OR
> (V) TRANSMIT VOICE OR DATA SIGNALS SPECIALLY DESIGNED TO ELUDE
> ELECTROMAGNETIC DETECTION;
>
> https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2016-title22-vol1/xml/CFR-2016-title22-vol1-part121.xml

AFAICS, these are USA export regulations and only apply if you are
trying to export this technology from the USA to another country.

AFAIK, "TEMPEST" as a codeword refers to a classified US Government
program and specifications.  If you want to build a facility that
specifically adheres to the TEMPEST specifications, then you'll need
to get clearances in order to obtain the specifications, and if you
want to hire a cleared contractor to build a TEMPEST specification
facility for you, they will probably need to confirm that you are also
cleared under the classification requirements.

So the source originally cited may be correct to the extent it
specifically refers to TEMPEST technology, not general Faraday
shielding.  AFAIK, general Faraday shielding is not regulated,
although as one poster pointed out, if you use it in a commercial
facility, there may be FCC or local regulations apply with respect to
radio communications, especially emergency services.