[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 15:29:40 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 11:48 AM, mok-kong shen
<mok-kong.shen at t-online.de> wrote:

> I wrote previously in a  follow-up to a thread that I vaguely remember to
> have read
> that in US a permission is needed for Farady shielding of rooms, whereupon a
> few
> readers doubted its correctness. I have just succeeded to again find the
> source:
>
> A. Stanoyevitch, Discrete Structures with Contemporary Applications. CRC
> Press,
> 2011. On p.301 there is:
>
>      Buildings can be fitted using a special insulation procedure that
> protects
>      against tempest devices, but any company or individual in the US who
> has
>      this insulation must first obtain a license from the federal
> Government.

Even if this were true (and it seems more likely that the
author was either misinformed, referring to a specific
military-controlled insulation, or extrapolating from some
specific type of structure to structures in general),
I'd think going along with the premise of it's easier to get
forgiveness than permission could innocently achieve
the same goal.

Should you eventually find yourself standing before a
judge, you can tell the court,
   "Your honour, it's NOT tempest shielding. I just live
   inside a giant microwave oven."

Cheers,
-kevin
--
Blog: http://off-the-wall-security.blogspot.com/    | Twitter: @KevinWWall
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.