[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

Donald Eastlake d3e3e3 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 14:58:06 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:
> On 04/02/2017 08:48 AM, mok-kong shen wrote:
>
>> A. Stanoyevitch, Discrete Structures with Contemporary Applications. CRC
>> Press,
>> 2011. On p.301 there is:
>>
>>      Buildings can be fitted using a special insulation procedure that
>> protects
>>      against tempest devices, but any company or individual in the US
>> who has
>>      this insulation must first obtain a license from the federal
>> Government.
>
> ,,,
>
> The idea that you'd need someone's permission to build something that
> doesn't attack anybody else or violate anyone else's rights is just
> plain weird.
>
> Especially when you need it for just plain business purposes.

Also such as, "I want to test devices for sensitivity to
electromagnetic interference or other sorts of radio testing that
require control over normal background radio noise."

In the US laws only prohibit active interference, not passive shielding.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3 at gmail.com