[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Apr 2 14:11:59 EDT 2017

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:48:54 +0200 mok-kong shen
<mok-kong.shen at t-online.de> wrote:
> I wrote previously in a  follow-up to a thread that I vaguely
> remember to have read
> that in US a permission is needed for Farady shielding of rooms,
> whereupon a few
> readers doubted its correctness. I have just succeeded to again
> find the source:
>
> A. Stanoyevitch, Discrete Structures with Contemporary
> Applications. CRC Press,
> 2011. On p.301 there is:
>
>       Buildings can be fitted using a special insulation procedure
> that protects
>       against tempest devices, but any company or individual in the
> US who has
>       this insulation must first obtain a license from the federal
> Government.

Although I believe that this book makes such a claim, and that
the author likely believed it to be true, I'm afraid I do not believe
there is in fact any law whatsoever that prohibits putting foil or
metal mesh in your walls. You would need to track down the actual law
before I would believe in its existence.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com