[Cryptography] Spooky quantum radar at a distance

Viktor Dukhovni cryptography at dukhovni.org
Fri Sep 23 16:03:06 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:39:45PM -0400, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> The article seems to hint that they are doing something of this general
> sort, but it's really impossible to tell.  It's full of all kinds of
> buzzwords and hints, but what exactly it's doing you can't determine.

They did mention advances in single-photon detection.  So if there's
any meat to this story, perhaps they are able to make do with a
lot fewer scattered photons because they can detect them and then
correlate with the entangled twins.  A smaller scattering cross-section
might then not sufficiently deter detection.  Mere speculation of course,
but the most charitable skim-reading of the article I could come up with.

--
	Viktor.