[Cryptography] Secure erasure in C.

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Sep 13 02:22:20 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> At 08:08 AM 9/11/2016, Henry Baker wrote:
> >As many people have pointed out, the problem with erasure is that it
> deals with a concept not captured by normal programming languages,
> operating systems or computing hardware.

On the hardware side I just learned that some ARM cores have a mix
of large and small cores that share memory and cache.  The information
leak and software reliability risk  is the little cores must always flush
cache as if they were a big core.
Code could migrate from one to another and the code would not
be able to know it moved or how wide the cache line is so it must
assume the largest possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

Lots of parts lots of differences so the hardware aware bits need to
cover a lot of implementations some where this is a do not care
and others where it can prove "interesting".

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l