[Cryptography] French credit card has time-varying PIN

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Oct 4 16:58:46 EDT 2016

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, RB wrote:

> I don't know how up-to-date the data is, but this [1] site was helpful
> in determining which issuers did what, and appears to have evolved since
> I last checked. YMMV, I wish this kind of data was a little more open
> and plain.
>
> [1] https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/

Presumably banks don't want you to shop around...  In Australia, for
example, it's pretty cut-throat, with just four major banks owning most of
the market, and a lot of small ones (including credit unions etc) picking
up the crumbs.

The "Big Four" (as they're known) are fighting off a proposed Royal
Commission into their rapacious activities following some major scandals,
so I don't expect them to be exactly forthcoming about what they do.