[Cryptography] French credit card has time-varying PIN

RB aoz.syn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 10:30:26 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Howard Chu <hyc at symas.com> wrote:
> Yep, I noticed the same. Quite annoying, so you still can't use them at e.g.
> subway ticket kiosks and the like.

Most US-issue EMV cards still have signature priority rather than PIN
priority, and it's hard to dig through the banks' BS to figure out
which CMV priority they set.  Some will set online PIN as second
priority, but that's relatively rare too.  When I looked into this
about 14 months ago, the only US credit issuer to do PIN primary
(whether online or ICC) was First Tech Credit Union.

I don't know how up-to-date the data is, but this [1] site was helpful
in determining which issuers did what, and appears to have evolved
since I last checked. YMMV, I wish this kind of data was a little more
open and plain.

[1] https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/