[Cryptography] French credit card has time-varying PIN

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 19:36:11 EDT 2016

On Oct 3, 2016 4:32 PM, "Rick Nakroshis" <rick at nakroshis.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
>>

>> The three digits on the back of this card will change, every hour, for
three years.

>> And after they change, the previous three digits are essentially
worthless, and that's a huge blow for criminals.

> I was amused by these lines.  Changing a three digit code every hour
generates unique values for less than forty-two days, not three years.

> To last for three years, they'll need to reuse each value on the order of
thirty-five times.  Nonetheless, it's a step in the right direction.

I have a list of all the PINs everyone is using. Good thing you only have a
limited number of tries before getting locked out.