[Cryptography] French credit card has time-varying PIN

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Mon Oct 3 19:58:34 EDT 2016

> PS: How many US cards don't have chips now?  All mine have for at
> least a year.  A few of them even have PINs.
All of mine have them, though it took until some time this summer.  I suspect all the majors have rolled out chip cards - it's to their advantage since they can dump liability on vendors once they have a chip card out there.

Around here, probably 2/3 of the places I regularly use cards at read the chip.  I have yet to see a gas station that takes it, though.  Most of the chip readers are very annoyingly slow - a few have gotten dramatically better, but not most.

On another note ... when I was in Europe a few weeks back, I used my chip card - which I carefully get a pin for.  Pretty much no one asked for the pin - the card readers all spit back a "get signature" to the vendor.

                                                        -- Jerry