[Cryptography] French credit card has time-varying PIN

Cat Okita cat at reptiles.org
Mon Oct 3 19:35:18 EDT 2016

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, Henry Baker wrote:
> The three digits on the back of this card will change, every hour, for three years.
>
> And after they change, the previous three digits are essentially worthless, and that's a huge blow for criminals.

... except this only works when you're talking about immediate transactions -- and I'd be very, very surprised if there weren't still a fair percentage of delayed transactions.

... and that means that there's likely to be impact to both the card owners and the card acceptors in denied transactions -- or there's going to be some sort of workaround that puts the entire idea into the "nice try, but ..." category.

cheers!