[Cryptography] another security vulnerability / travesty

Mansour Moufid mansourmoufid at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 12:54:05 EDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 2:26 PM, John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> wrote:

> On 10/01/2016 12:47 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>
>> Fax is a lot harder to get at than email.
>
> Yes harder ... but wow, that's a really low bar.
> Are you claiming it is "hard enough"?
> Hard enough for what purpose?

Fax is ephemeral, email is permanent.  If someone intercepts
a fax, they get those couple pages.  If someone hacks an email
account, they get everything from years ago to today.

Fax is local, email is remote.  When you send a fax to a doctor,
the transmission probably doesn't leave your city, so the set of
attackers is limited to those near you.  Email is global and
can be hacked by anyone.

Email can be encrypted but encryption is overrated in my opinion.