[Cryptography] Insecure email might be an even bigger problem than we suspected

John Ioannidis jayeye at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 08:17:41 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> To be fair when three recent zero-day flaws affecting the iPhone were
> discovered, (when an Isreali/American information weapons supplier's
> malware was used to attack the phone of a human-rights attorney) Apple
> fixed them and pushed out a patch within ten days.

My first-generation iPad has not received an update in years. Nor have
my old Android devices. Presumably people who don't get the latest
gadget every six months are not worthy of upgrades, but they do
contribute to the swarms of attack bots. Even MSFT still pushes
updates for XP, even though they declared it EOL years ago.

/ji