[Cryptography] another security vulnerability / travesty

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Oct 2 03:44:40 EDT 2016

* Peter Gutmann:

> John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> writes:
>
>>2) The odd thing is that they consider _fax_ to be HIPAA compliant.  That
>>seems quaint, like using an amulet to ward off disease.
>
> Why?  Fax is a lot harder to get at than email.  Account breaches are so
> routine and so vast in scope that they don't even make the news any more
> unless it's 100 million plus accounts affected.

An account breach doesn't mean that email is actually compromised.

I expect that for redirecting faxes, you don't even need to guess a
password.  You just need to obtain a fax machine, and then place a
phone call or visit a store.

> OTOH when was the last time you heard about a single fax being
> intercepted?  (And I mean intercepted remotely by a third party, not
> "someone walked out of the office with a copy").

Another explanation is that faxes going wrong are routinely blamed on
the victims.  Look at UK phone hacking—the network operators hardly
received any criticism for enabling that.