[Cryptography] distrusted root CA: WoSign

Peter Bowen pzbowen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:43:37 EDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 2:12 AM, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> writes:
>
>>In general, why do we put up with this?  Why, why, why?
>
> Because we have no choice.  What are you going to do in order to opt out, stop
> using the web?  It's a totally captive market.
>
> Note that things are run by the CA/Browser forum, not the CA/Browser/web site
> operator/end user/customer forum.  The only people with a say in things are
> the ones who are making money off the whole racket, and they aren't going to
> do anything to change the status quo.

I respectfully disagree.  There is action to improve the status quo.
I also do think there are members of the CA/Browser Forum who are open
to suggestions on how to make things better.  But they have to work in
the world that exists.

The key challenge is how does a human using a web browser authenticate
a connection to a website that they have never previously visited?
This the core problem that browsers are trying to solve by using PKIs.
Right now the best solution is to have a third party (a CA) do checks
ahead of time and issue a signed certificate stating that they did
checks.  An alternative model is DANE, where the third party signs an
identity that then certifies that a specific public key is held by the
website.

I'm very open to other solutions, work for a member of the CA/Browser
Forum, and am not known for being quiet at the Forum.  Please suggest
solutions!

Thanks,
Peter