[Cryptography] another security vulnerability / travesty

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Oct 1 03:47:25 EDT 2016

John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> writes:

>2) The odd thing is that they consider _fax_ to be HIPAA compliant.  That
>seems quaint, like using an amulet to ward off disease.

Why?  Fax is a lot harder to get at than email.  Account breaches are so
routine and so vast in scope that they don't even make the news any more
unless it's 100 million plus accounts affected.  OTOH when was the last time
you heard about a single fax being intercepted?  (And I mean intercepted
remotely by a third party, not "someone walked out of the office with a
copy").

Peter.