[Cryptography] October 28th is now National Cryptography Day

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 09:30:59 EST 2016

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 7:39 PM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:

> On 12/11/2016 15:18, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
>> If Hilary had encrypted her email, she would almost certainly be
>> president elect.
>>
>> It doesn't matter if you believe the analysts who say that the attacks
>> on the DNC came from Russia or not. That is a question about the past.
>> The question now is whether future elections are going to be influenced
>> by cyberattack by hostile foreign powers whether the meddling comes from
>> Russia, China, the US or anyone else.
>>
>> We need a national day for cryptography and October 28th is a good
>> choice. It provides a way to insert the cryptography issue into the
>> closing days of future elections in the US.
>>

> Good idea.  But why national?  Why is this always an American thing?
>
> Serious question - what would an international or non-national
> cryptography day look like?
>
> What is the most important message ever protected or not protected? What
> day was it sent?

​There can be an international cryptography day as well. Preferably in the
summer.

But there is a tactical advantage. Comey is going to be trying to push his
anti-crypto policies, delegitimizing the man, the office, the institution
he has soiled is the best way to push back.

Rather than having a conversation about what controls should be placed on
cryptography, I want a discussion on how the FBI is going to be broken up
and reformed.

Taking J Edgar Hoover's name off the FBI HQ isn't going to change anything.
Putting that issue on the agenda will cripple attempts to extend FBI power.