[Cryptography] Blue Coat has been issued a MITM encryption certificate

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue May 31 13:03:13 EDT 2016

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> On 29/05/16 02:35, Henry Baker wrote:
> > FYI --
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/27/blue_coat_ca_certs/
> >
> > A Controversial Surveillance Firm Was Granted a Powerful Encryption
> Certificate
> > Written by Joseph Cox, Contributor
>
> Yeah, two things strike me:
>
> 1 - yay for certificate transparency - CAs behaving oddly being spotted
>     and outed is good
>
> 2 - what kind of "testing"

>     run-time, or on a case-by-case basis  - or am I missing something?

One thing I can think of is a counter move to cope with a world full of
 MITM attackers.
Either detection, discovery, eradication..

With armies of bots out there it might take a MITM defense to shut the door
on some vectors that constantly manage and refresh the millions of
compromised
machines.

Hard IP addresses can be firewalled but once DNS is borked then firewalls
have a more slippery handle on things.

Just a thought...

And yes it may have a compliance with law enforcement component.

A very real threat is when anti virus tools are compromised.
By design they run at a very high level and can see and change
vast swaths of the system to the purposes of the virus.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l