[Cryptography] Plan to End the Crypto War

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Wed Jan 20 12:08:32 EST 2016

At 05:47 PM 1/18/2016, Tom Mitchell wrote:
>The debate needs to address the venn diagram of small, medium, large and global
>jurisdictions and communication. As New York looks to ban encrypted
>smartphones I should note that some federal agencies just enacted
>new policies mandating increased access controls including encryption.
>
>The proposed NY law http://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2015/a8093
>Not just content on the device but https phone to phone chat
>conversations are interesting and other content that is never kept
>in a log or record.

The iPod Touch is basically an iPhone w/o 3G/4G capabilities,
so there's no SIM card or any interaction with *any* telco.

The iPod Touch can run the same apps as an iPhone -- e.g.,
encrypted wifi apps.

In fact, some parents give their kids iPod Touch's in order
to avoid having to pay per-minute or per-GB charges, since
almost every place the kid goes there's wifi.

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

Given the almost ubiquitous presence of wifi, it would seem
that the "smartphone" horse has left the barn.