[Cryptography] Plan to End the Crypto War

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sat Jan 9 10:35:53 EST 2016

At 10:46 AM 1/8/2016, james hughes wrote:
>My personal conjecture is that split golden key is no better than single golden key because any human process where the split key works, that process can be implemented around a single golden key.
>
>Susan Landau says "no legislation requiring exceptional access should be considered unless the particulars of the proposal — the technical particulars — are presented. Otherwise we would be mandating insecurity when what we need is just the opposite." and, contrary to the opinions of many Mathematicians, "technical particulars" do not end at the math.

The whole point of Chaum's plan is to destroy the appearance of unanimity of the crypto community on the infeasibility of these "hackdoor" proposals.  It doesn't really matter at this point whether the Chaum plan works, just so long as it looks *plausible* to non-crypto people.

Those outside the crypto community can't distinguish good from bad proposals, so Chaum lends credence to the "Manhattan Project" idea -- which, by the way, will produce lots of funding for academic types as a sop to keep them from complaining so publicly.

I'm just cynical enough to suspect some RSA-type funding for Chaum to throw this monkeywrench.

---
NSA motto: "We listen to your prayers when your own God won't" (tm)