[Cryptography] OpenSSL v LibreSSL speeds ?

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Thu Jan 14 15:31:23 EST 2016

I'm getting some fairly dramatically different speeds on OpenSSL v. LibreSSL on the same machine, same OS.

./openssl speed > speedtest.out

reports the speeds of the different ciphers, etc.

In some cases the speed differences may be 3:1.

I tried to make the tests identical, but I may be doing it wrong.

I tried to make everything 'no-threads', 'no-hw', etc.

Has anyone else performed this comparison?

(N.B., I have no easy way to determine whether the security of both systems are the same for the same settings.)