[Cryptography] TRNG review: Arduino based TRNGs

Yann Droneaud ydroneaud at opteya.com
Wed Jan 13 11:38:57 EST 2016

Hi,

Le mardi 12 janvier 2016 à 12:55 -0800, Stephen Wood a écrit :
> > As users, you should vote with your wallets and not buy products
> > with CPUs that don't come with a proper entropy source built in.
>
> What options do we have? I know that the RPI comes with a built-in
> hwrng, but it runs an actual OS that requires crypto functionality.
> As far as I know it's still a black box, so there's lingering
> problems with that.
>
> It would be nice to put pressure on Arduino, but it's my opinion that
> more sophisticated projects are already moving on to raspberry pi.

If one would give a try with BeagleBone[1], there's CryptoCape[2][3],
then you have to trust Atmel's RNG implementation [4] ...
Reading ATSHA204 datasheet [5] doesn't make me confident the RNG
provided by this chip is really a True HardWare backed RNG, it sounds
more like a PRNG with per device unique seed.

[1] http://beagleboard.org/
[2] http://cryptotronix.com/products/cryptocape/
[3] https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12773
[4] https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/cryptocape-hookup-guide#atsha204