[Cryptography] Anyone else seeing an uptick in infected IoT devices? New botnet?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Dec 7 22:44:52 EST 2016

On 12/07/2016 06:26 PM, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> Ugh, as soon as I saw the title of that first one I thought "TR-069", and
> sure enough:
>
> "incoming traffic destined for Port 7547 using communications protocols
>  known as TR-069"
>
> If ever there was a protocol was designed to be insecure, it's that.

They talk about security and authentication, then go right into
how someone can use "shared secrets" ie, a default password, to
load new firmware on the device remotely.

   ~   ~
   0   0

    <_>

Yep, that's "calling all botnets" loud and clear.

Hooboy.  We need to focus more on educating the public, don't we?

			Bear