[Cryptography] Key meshing (Re: [Crypto-practicum] Retire all 64-bit block ciphers.)

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Aug 30 14:49:46 EDT 2016

On 8/30/16 at 9:22 AM, phill at hallambaker.com (Phillip
Hallam-Baker) wrote:

>What I don't understand is why the various symmetric cipher modes we have
>keep the key fixed and modify the data.

>The main reason for not doing this seems to be that the key schedule has to
>be recalculated and that was expensive for DES. But that shouldn't be a
>major problem on a modern CPU.

I think it is the cost of recalculating the key schedule. Some
ciphers, e.g. Blowfish, deliberately have expensive key
schedules to deter exhaustive search attacks.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | If the site is supported by  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | ads, you are the product.    | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |                              | Los Gatos,
CA 95032