[Cryptography] Insecure email might be an even bigger problem than we suspected

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Aug 24 17:18:18 EDT 2016

On 08/24/2016 11:45 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Over the past few months we have seen some very remarkable and quite
> unexpected developments:
>
> 1) Donald Trump wins the GOP Primary.
> 2) Voters in the UK vote for Brexit.
> 3) Fox News abandons a longstanding policy of paying off sexual harassment
> claims against senior management.
> 4) Trump appoints Breitbart staff to his campaign in an apparent bid to
> pilot the launch of Trump News
> 5) Despite knowing that Trump plans to usurp them, Fox News curiously keeps
> giving Trump free air time.
>
> We also have the following observations
>
> 1) Cyber espionage attack against the DNC by the FSB and GRU
> 2) Cyber espionage attach against the New York Times by same parties [*]
>
> Cui bono?

On the one hand:
Oh good.  Some other people are reaching the same 'paranoid
conspiracy theory' I spun the other day.  So I'm at least no
crazier than you.

On the other hand:
This.  Is.  BAD.  An attack on the integrity of elections by
a power foreign to the nation in which those elections are to
be held, cannot be allowed to stand. Regardless of who the
attacker is.

On the gripping hand:
F***in' called it.

				Bear

PS.  I still wish my most paranoid conspiracy theories would
     turn out to be WRONG sometimes!