[Cryptography] Phishing Attacks - Alice, HAL and Bob

Joseph Kilcullen kilcullenj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 07:12:34 EDT 2016

On 22-Aug-16 9:56 AM, Maxime MEYER wrote:
> "You’re about to hop into bed with
> a woman and you are wondering if the condoms you have are genuine or
> fake? You open the tamper proof packaging (a one-way function) retrieve
> a one-time password from inside the packaging. Now you enter that code
> into a website. If the genuine manufacturer confirms the code, then the
> condoms are genuine, otherwise they are fake."
>
> I think that the problem would still apply here.
> What if the package is intercepted?

Here 'tamper proof packaging' is analogous to encryption i.e. Eve cannot
steal the concealed code without breaking the packaging. Same goes for
Mallory.

> Then the attacker could reproduce the same package with a valid one time password
> in a new packaging, sealing this new one and selling it as a genuine one.

The objective is to break the counterfeiters business model i.e. each
product will have a unique code which will tell the user 'its probably
genuine' on its first use. All subsequent uses will state that the code
was used before i.e. it definitely fake. Hence 1000 counterfeits would
require the theft of 1000 genuine products to get their codes. Yes there
is the possibility that you might be unlucky. If one genuine product has
its code used in 200 counterfeits. Then the first to use the
authentication code will be told the product is genuine (that's why I
said 'its probably genuine' above). However all subsequent uses of the
code, all 199, will be told its a fake.

This is analogous to the solution in the phishing attacks paper i.e. my
solution there argues that phishers now have to hack into 1000
computers, steal 1000 user-browser shared secrets. Hacking into 1000
computers being different to either a MITM or a basic HTML website
knock-off.

> However for the package seal, I have seen one company who is making sealing RFID tags working with PUF technology for authentication of the product, Verayo Inc (http://www.verayo.com/)

I can't patent this solution it's the same as the Kellogg's 'free spoon
offer'. So all I can get is the credit for solving this/figuring this
out. And I'm actually more interested in the phishing solution, anyway.
My solution is DIRT cheep. (1) tamper proof packaging (analogous to
encryption!), and (2) a concealed password inside the packaging. Then
(3) a website to authenticate the code. Its basically the 'free spoon
offer' I just figured it out from the conclusions of the phishing paper.