[Cryptography] BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

ianG iang at iang.org
Sat Aug 20 02:04:07 EDT 2016

On 8/08/2016 18:29 pm, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> The claim that detectors could work on packet length and timing does bring up a point I've mentioned before:  We define security for ciphers algorithms, and often for modes and even protocols, in a way that completely ignores leakage of message length and timing - assuming that it doesn't really matter very much (if you use a block cipher the length is only know mod 16 or maybe somewhat more, who cares) or, in the case of timing, that this is simply outside the domain of analysis.

In other words, we define what we can fix, then we re-work the threat
model to ignore that which we can't fix.  Then we teach the users that
this is their problem, their fault, they've been socially engineered.

> And yet we keep seeing attacks (or even proposals for attacks) that look at exactly this "metadata" that we leave unencrypted.  We've seen such things as recovery of encrypted compressed speech based entirely on the sequence of packet lengths; discovery of web pages being read over and HTTPS connection based, again, on the sequence of lengths of messages; a bunch of attacks that make the attacked element an oracle for the "have you seen this string in the data you encrypted recently?" by checking the length of responses.

Right.  There is this incredible bias in cryptology to even ignore
actual results that breach our shared acceptable threat model.  This I
posted last year and it disappeared without a trace ... which was really
odd - the authors claim to have actually recovered encrypted
conversation from so-called metadata n VoIP.