[Cryptography] Phishing Attacks - Alice, HAL and Bob

Joseph Kilcullen kilcullenj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 06:12:09 EDT 2016

One of the conclusions of the phishing attacks paper was that phishing
attacks are the counterfeiting of an identity, not the counterfeiting of
a website. Hence counterfeiting is just identity theft. From this we can
develop solutions to protect manufactured goods from counterfeiting e.g.
pharmaceutical drugs. I documented my ideas in a second paper i.e.

     http://arxiv.org/abs/1512.00351

The method proposed to prevent counterfeiting of manufactured goods is
analogous to digital signatures. It would take a cryptographer or game
theorist to understand the solution, hence the cryptography connection.

Here’s an example from the paper i.e. glass coins.

    Coins could be made out of glass. Flaws like tiny bubbles would be
    difficult to position during manufacture. As such imperfections
    would make each coin unique and impossible to replicate. Whatever
    process is used to draw a picture and a coin value could be used to
    add a unique serial number. Authentication would involve
    authenticating the physical properties like refractive index and
    examining the coin's unique physical flaws i.e. Fingerprint. Finally
    the central bank, for that currency, can authenticate that 'serial
    number -   fingerprint' combination.