[Cryptography] Electronic currency revived after 20-year hiatus

Jehan Tremback jehan.tremback at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 21:30:26 EDT 2016

I have to agree with Natanael. A payment channel allows two peers to send
money to one another without any packets sent to anyone else. The record of
the payment is stored only by the peers, with the channel closing mechanism
making it unfeasible for either of them to cheat.

Multi-hop payment channels allow money to be routed across completely
trustless intermediaries. With a routing protocol, you can send money to
anyone else, just like you can send data to anyone else over the internet.

I wrote a post with some friendly diagrams:
http://altheamesh.com/blog/universal-payment-channels/

There are working implementations of multi-hop payment channels for Bitcoin
(the Lightning network or Thunder network). Right now the Bitcoin stuff
doesn't work on the main chain because Bitcoin has extremely primitive
scriptability, and there needs to be a fork to update it (unfortunately,
the Bitcoin community currently seems unable to agree on anything):
https://www.blockchain.com/thunder/

Ethereum does not suffer from this problem, so there is a multihop channel
implementation in alpha now, called the Raiden network:
http://raiden.network

Z-Cash has published a paper about anonymous payment channels:
https://z.cash/blog/bolt-private-payment-channels.html

Digital Cash should be respected as a historical stepping stone, but I see
no real benefit to the scheme. Maybe it is useful for some niche
applications that benefit from its characteristics.

-Jehan