[Cryptography] Public-key auth as envisaged by first-year science students

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Thu Aug 11 12:32:22 EDT 2016

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 5:08 AM, Yui Hirasawa wrote:

> > Location-limited channels: Detect how long it takes for messages to go back
> >  and forth, the MITM will introduce delays.
>
> You would have to know in advance how long the connection should take
> and during bad internet weather you wouldn't be able to authenticate at
> all. Not very useful.

Are you sure? We live in the time of big data and machine learning. It ought to be possible to train some kind of neural network with examples of timing on straight connections, and examples of timings on MITM-ed connections, and get some kind of indicator. Just another side channel.

-- Christian Huitema