[Cryptography] BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Aug 8 20:14:27 EDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

> More recent articles - e.g., "The real scandal is that you still believe
> TV licence detector vans are real" http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-
> policy/2016/08/bbc-tv-licence-vans-wi-fi-snooping-analysis/ - argue that
> this is all a fake, aimed at frightening people into paying up.
>
> The claim that detectors could work on ....

I just found a roll of tin foil...
and now I wonder what a fully equipped van might also snoop on.

Yes this involves the UK and my expectations do not apply...

Tech like this reaches into homes and any other location where radio
frequencies
are used to carry what was once pen, paper and verbal conversations.

I dislike the implied need for technology escalation to conduct personal
finances, romance,
banking, business and more.

My physical bank has reduced staff and reduced hours because more and more
banking
is done on line.   As more and more private business move to RF and other
digital based
communications the law needs to constrain the habits and ethics of agencies
with deep pockets.

Even a post card without an envelop has bounds and expectations of privacy.

Without specific legal process....
One cannot open the mail box on the street and read them.
One cannot sit in the post office and read and record them.
A postal carrier cannot photograph and publish the notes as a minimum
copyright applies.
One cannot bribe a postal carrier to divert mail for transcription.

Some should consider that historically a post card and telegram establish a
historic
communication privacy expectation base line.

Interesting stuff....

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l