[Cryptography] Where to Find PQC Crypto Libraries?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Aug 8 01:49:01 EDT 2016

On 08/07/2016 02:35 AM, Jeff Burdges wrote:

> * I personally like SIDH long-term.  Amongst other reasons, it appears
> you must do computations in a huge mathematical object to break it,
> possibly adding an additional hurdle for quantum computers.  Yet, I've
> never seen anyone make space complexity claims about attempts to break
> it, so maybe that's just wrong.

On enormous mathematical objects -- I don't really know what mathematics
types consider "enormous" but I recall a proposed hashing scheme for
an altcoin block chain, intended to be horribly slow, which required
random accesses into a large object (bigger than any computer memory)
that could only be generated sequentially.  And it was a different
instance of such an object for every thing being hashed.

The intent of the author (earnest, bright, and terribly naĆ­ve) was that
people would have to generate the object up to the points of references
many times.

The reality of course would be that people would do their hashing using
rainbow tables instead. Generate the object once saving the
(rather large but but reasonable for hard drives) generator state at
a hundred different checkpoints along the way, and implement the random
accesses by loading and regenerating starting from the checkpoint
previous to the indicated location.

Which, thanks to the regulated difficulty to produce blocks at
predictable intervals, wouldn't have been all that much of a
problem for the block chain - it mostly would mean the miners wore
out hard drives in addition to burning CPU hours.

				Bear