[Cryptography] Current state of WPA2 security for IoT access ?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Apr 26 16:08:49 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> --
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access
>
> A sysadmin told me within the last week that WPA2 was easily broken
> via Aircrack.

> So what is the current recommendation w.r.t. IoT devices accessing
> WPA2 wireless routers?

What I am exploring is using a three port device like
this small router.   https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

The plan is to bifurcate/split the traffic and place IoT like devices
on one net and other devices on another network.

I can attach a WiFi on each giving each WiFi separated channels.

The second net  also services an internal VPN.

This is going to get more difficult with IPv6.   There will need
to be a much richer class of home routers and management
tools than we commonly have now.

In other threads there is a lot of noise over key management by Blackberry.
I suspect the external management hooks home ISPs (Xfinity) have inserted
in their rented hardware are lined up like kids dominos.  There are already
exploit
risks against some DOCSIS modems and WiFi home routers.

It is educational to directly connect to and watch the packet traffic of
most
home ISP network services.   The internet is not a safe place for limited
hardware and old software.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l