[Cryptography] Security on TRIM for full-disk encrypted SSDs

Valmiky Arquissandas crypto-metzdowd at kayvlim.com
Tue Apr 19 20:03:40 EDT 2016

Hello, list!

While this is more of a filesystems question, I believe it is
appropriate for this topic, which is why I chose to bring it here.

I have heard that TRIMming unused blocks in an SSD is bad from a
security standpoint, as it reveals information about the underlying
filesystem - which blocks are available, and potentially what that
filesystem is.

But in a practical perspective - especially since SSDs have a limited
write lifetime and TRIM gives them a better judgement about which blocks
to reuse - is that really important?

I understand at least some of the theory - encrypted information is
supposed to be indistinguishable from random noise, and TRIM reveals
patterns; and a plausible deniability scenario would probably be
unacceptable.

My use case is the "stolen laptop" scenario. While it contains sensitive
information that neither I nor my employer would be exactly happy about
losing, I don't see any actor - either criminal or from law enforcement
- being interested enough in devoting resources to it, so in practice I
am trying to avoid revealing information from a random thief, in which
case I believe that full-disk encryption, even with TRIM, more than
suffices.

If we consider that this random thief happens to be a
cryptography/infosec/dfir expert, what's the worse they would be able to
find out? That I (hypothetically) would be using ext4 and 70% of the
drive? Or what the partition scheme is? Or the sizes of each file?
I would find it unlikely that they would be able to recover actual
mission-critical contents that could jeopardize me, my employer or our
clients.

(This is somewhat academic - I believe that for about 90% of the cases,
simply using Linux is already enough obfuscation for the random thief
:-) )

Thanks,
Valmiky Arquissandas