[Cryptography] Security engineering at Google

Tim Dierks tim at dierks.org
Mon Apr 18 12:09:26 EDT 2016

Forgive me for this commercial interruption, but I wanted to let the list
know [1] that we're always looking for strong security-minded software
engineers at Google.

We handle a huge amount of high-value data for users and companies and we
take the trust they place in us very seriously. We're not only building the
infrastructure to keep that data secure and private within Google, but we
are also, in building out the Google Cloud platform, developing tools and
foundations for data security for every company that makes use of it. As
such, working here is an opportunity to contribute to the security of
billions of users, not only of Google products, but of systems run by
companies who build on top of our platform. We also have efforts which work
to make the Internet safer in general, with projects like malware detection
and notification, Certificate Transparency, unphishable authentication, and
others.

I work with a team of software engineers here in NYC who are responsible
for data protection for Google and Google Cloud Platform, including key
management, request authorization, audit logging, and binary-to-source
provenance. We are also looking for software engineers to join the security
team in the SF Bay Area and the Seattle area, and we have outposts in other
offices, including London and Zurich. [2]

The best candidates for these roles will be strong software engineers who
have deep knowledge of security. We also hire into other kinds of roles
(incident response, analysis, etc.); I'm not personally as familiar with
those roles or opportunities, but I'm happy to try to make connections.

I'm always happy to discuss opportunities here, feel free to contact me at
my personal address (tim at dierks.org) or corporate (dierks at google.com).

Best wishes,
 - Tim

[1] - Thanks to Perry and Tamzen for allowing me to share this here; I
started my career at Google thanks to an email from Fritz Schneider on this
list in 2003 [3], so while I recognize the imposition of recruiting spam, I
also know that it's valuable for technical people to connect other
technical people with opportunities.

[2] - Job posting:
https://www.google.com/about/careers/search#!t=jo&jid=127025001&

[3] - http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.general/3933 (I'm
hoping this one is as tasteful, although it's longer).