[Cryptography] Simple IoT sensor encryption ?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Apr 15 19:26:35 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> Suppose we have some relatively simple, cheap IoT *sensors* with an SoC
> processor with perhaps AES capabilities.
>
> We consider only send-only sensors here, because the authentication
> requirements on *actuators* should be far, far stronger.

Small points.   The subject line makes assumptions.

   "Simple IoT sensor encryption"

Sensors and or encryption are not simple.

I suspect the important component is simplifying key management.
Facilitating may be the better word.

The next bit is network setup and connectivity including VPNs.

Because sensors are involved: privacy, safety and reliability
all interact into a profile of a threat, use and service model.

Actuators and send-only devices should look identical (IMO) when
sending data.

All devices need an update path.   Time to market demands will ship
devices in a time frame that will demand updates for corrections and feature
completion.  Updates and actuating commands need to operate in
a capability structure set different than simple data.

Thus the most simple or the most complex device will need
the same basic foundations of hardware and software.

The transition to IPv6 needs to be managed.
i.e. DNS and host name lookup will be needs when years
ago one might hard code an IPv4 address set into the device.

My personal bias is this is a large enough tangle that IoT
devices should not connect to a common network.  Rather IoT
devices should connect via a way better firewall than
Comcast and AT&T provide for their customers.

.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l