[Cryptography] Simple IoT sensor encryption ?

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Fri Apr 15 15:13:35 EDT 2016

> I'm interested primarily in confidentiality of the sensor data during transmission & storage.
That, in combination with the assumption that the adversary has physical access to the device, makes little sense.  Given physical access, I would simply place my own sensor next to yours.  A hell of a lot easier than disassembling your device, getting the key out, and then putting it back in place in a way that you won't detect.

> As I've already said, authenticity will be difficult, if not impossible, to assure w/o some type of stored secret within the device.
I don't see the use case for IoT authenticity secure against deep device hacking.  Can you give me an example of what you have in mind?

                                                        -- Jerry