[Cryptography] [cryptography] Show Crypto: prototype USB HSM

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Thu Apr 14 17:06:08 EDT 2016

On Apr 14, 2016, at 1:37 PM, Yui Hirasawa <yui at cock.li> wrote:

>> The case is 3-D printed plastic so a production version could probably
>> shave a couple of mm off of that.  There is also quite a bit of extra
>> length on the board to support the debug connector that will be be
>> taken of in the final design.
>
> I would much prefer to buy one with debug ports so I can reflash it in
> the future if I have to.

You can re-flash it through the USB port.  In fact, the whole point of these prototypes is to let people experiment with the firmware.

> Have you considered a design without the USB head, just have the pins or
> whatever you would call them in the board itself like Gniibe has planned
> for his new board FS-BB48[1].
>
> [1]: http://www.gniibe.org/memo/development/fs-bb48/fs-bb48-idea.html

I had not seriously considered building the USB directly onto the PCB like that.  I did consider a micro-USB socket instead of the A type connector, but decided that I like the aesthetics of a built-in connector better.  But these things are easy to change.

rg