[Cryptography] Simple IoT sensor encryption ?

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu Apr 14 16:14:33 EDT 2016

> Threat model: since the sensors are cheap & widely distributed, we have to assume that anyone can get physical access to such a sensor & perform any amount of analysis on it that s/he wants.  Furthermore, the data channels between the sensor and the data repository are available for everyone to see -- e.g., wireless transmission, with the possibility of MITM attacks.
I don't see a threat model here.  Yes, these are bits and pieces of attack techniques ... but what exactly are you intending to secure?  All I see here is the values sent by the sensor.  Do you need to protect them from visibility, or are you concerned with integrity?  How about availability?

Without saying what properties you want the system to provide, you can't possibly analyze the threats - threats to do *what*?
                                                        -- Jerry