[Cryptography] Feinstein-Burr crypto bill introduced

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 14 06:15:04 EDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-14 at 00:14 +0000, John Levine wrote:

> Dunno if this is deliberately aimed at Apple, but I'd read it to
> cover
> any software distributed, i.e. "provided", through the app store.

Relevant quote from Section 3, part (C):

10 (c) LICENSE DISTRIBUTORS .—A provider of remote
11 computing service or electronic communication service to
12 the public that distributes licenses for products, services,
13 applications, or software of or by a covered entity shall
14 ensure that any such products, services, applications, or
15 software distributed by such person be capable of com-
16 plying with subsection (a).

So yeah, it is meant to cover app stores generally.  It would also
cover Linux distros, Github, etc., though given the overall technical
illiteracy of the proposal I have some doubts that Burr or Feinstein
are even aware of such things.

-- Ben