[Cryptography] Show Crypto: prototype USB HSM

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 23:12:52 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:

> This HSM is much more general-purpose than a U2F token.

Well, that's true, but it's also hundreds of times bigger than a token in
the Yubikey "nano" form factor, which is actually convenient to keep
permanently in the USB slot of a laptop. Your physical design seems pretty
unwieldy for laptops (see also Yubico's keychain designs).

Yubikey "nano" factor tokens like the NEO-n have also supported more
general purposes than a U2F token (e.g. CCID interface, OpenPGP applets,
see also PIV)

I swear I'm not a paid shill for Yubico, but I'm a fan of small
display-free hardware tokens. While a token like what you've built might
provide Maximum Security under pessimistic threat models, its large size
makes it look rather inconvenient to me.

--
Tony Arcieri