[Cryptography] Text of Burr-Feinstein encryption backdoor bill

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Sat Apr 9 10:09:27 EDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-04-08 at 11:44 -0700, Bill Cox wrote:
> It has no exceptions for open-source,

It is worse than that; it would basically ban open source projects in
the US.  At the end of section 3 there is a requirement that anyone who
distributes software must vet that software for compliance.  I am
guessing that was meant to target app stores to stop people from just
downloading crypto apps, but as far as I can tell it would also cover
Github, basically all Linux distros, PyPi, etc.  The great part is that
this provision would accomplish nothing for exactly the same reason it
was conceived: people can also host software outside of the US, and
people in the US can download software from other countries.

-- Ben