[Cryptography] Text of Burr-Feinstein encryption backdoor bill

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 14:44:20 EDT 2016

IANAL, but it seems clear from the rest of the text that this bill would
specifically outlaw all strong encryption, not just end-to-end encryption.
It has no exceptions for open-source, so all full disk encryption products
would become illegal, as would programs such as WhatsApp, iMessage,
TrueCrypt and gnupg.  My personal laptop has an Intel SDD with full-disk
encryption, which would no longer be available for sale.  My work laptop
uses LUKS disk encryption, which looks like it also would become illegal,
since LUKS has no known back door.  The recent proposal to allow a
combination of several governments to decrypt data when they cooperate to
do so would also be illegal, since this law requires that the US government
can do it alone.

I have never understood Dianne Feinstiein's opposition to encryption, which
she has fought since the 1990s.  Why we continue to vote for such a
non-technical dork to represent California is beyond me.

Bill