[Cryptography] Hayden on encryption v. metadata

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Apr 6 21:54:43 EDT 2016

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> >A similar thing occurred in the 19th C. with telegraphers who copied
> >Morse- coded messages.  Although they transcribed them, they never
> >really processed them.
>
> Students still do this today.

:-)

Radio amateurs used to have a sign a "Declaration of Secrecy of
Communications" before we could get our ticket i.e. we could not reveal
anything that we happened to hear...

And boy, I heard some juicy things :-)  The old analogue (and
unencrypted) cordless phone system was quite entertaining at times.

Any CBer with a scanner could sand-bag, but it was Amateurs who copped the
blame, because of our antenna arrays.

Heh heh; I got blamed on a couple of occasions for clobbering a
neighbour's TV set, but the simple fact that I was in Tokyo at the time
(and on another occasion being interstate) made little impact upon her (I
made damned sure that everthing was switched off).