[Cryptography] Secure universal message addressing

aestetix aestetix at aestetix.com
Wed Apr 6 01:26:02 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 11:09:20AM +0200, Natanael wrote:
>- Sent from my phone
>Den 5 apr. 2016 09:17 skrev "John Gilmore" <gnu at toad.com>:
>>
>> > The key idea here is that you get to have *one* identifier for yourself
>> > under your control, that you can use everywhere, securely.
>>
>> The key idea here is a bad idea.
>>
>> I don't want everyone I interact with to have the same identifier for
>> me.  That's the problem with Social Security Numbers.  With a single
>> identifier, all the interactions with me can be cross-correlated to
>> track me everywhere I go.  Typically this is done NOT for my
>> benefit, but to give some third party an advantage over me.
>
>No problem. This is a per-nickname identifier. Use temporary disposable /
>throwaway accounts or context specific accounts if you wish. Then you won't
>have everything linked to the same account.

The problem with "nick-name" is it assumes all the names are tied to a "real" name.

Another problem with having a single root or key identifier: who decides what it is? Being able to pick your name has a lot of power to it, and handing that agency over to a third party also hands that power to them. This is one of the reasons that prisoners are often assigned a number they are required to use instead of their names.

If I am going to interact with multiple services, I want control over how I do that interaction. Forcing me to use names that branch off a single origin point defeats the entire purpose.