[Cryptography] Hayden on encryption v. metadata

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Apr 5 17:38:16 EDT 2016

At 11:57 AM 4/5/2016, J.M. Porup wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 10:25:48AM -0700, Henry Baker wrote:
>> So yes, people have been eavesdropping for perhaps 200,000 years.  They've also been summarily executing eavesdroppers for 199,999 years.
>
>The punishment for espionage since the dawn of time has been death.
>
>What is the appropriate punishment for espionage against your own people?

Yes, the reaction by the intel community to the Snowden revelations was pretty telling.

They just couldn't understand why ordinary citizens hated being surveilled so much;
they assumed that we'd all throw rose petals in front of them, and hug them or something.

Now, their kids come home from school and ask "Daddy, how many people have you blown up with your drone today?"
"Can Johnny come over and play drones with me today, so we can blow up people, too?"