[Cryptography] Hayden on encryption v. metadata

Walter van Holst walter.van.holst at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 5 01:12:35 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-05 03:15, dan at geer.org wrote:
> It was said
>
>  | Maybe it's time to start publicly calling for Nuremberg-style war
> crimes
>  | tribunals to arrest, prosecute, convict, imprison, and execute
> senior
>  | surveillance state officials?
>

> Anyone who voluntarily uses a device whose inherent function requires
> continuous connectivity has no, repeat no, reasonable expectation
> of not being tracked.

"reasonable expectation of privacy" may still be a thing in the US
context. It is not a terribly relevant criterium in most of the rest of
the industrialised world which has moved on to more sensible legal
doctrines, such as informational privacy. Reasonable expectation of
privacy is a fallacy because it is extremely vulnerable to technological
developments. See the following statement:

"Anyone who voluntarily lives in a house that is inherently permeable by
UWB radar has no, repeat no, reasonable expectation of not being
watched."

Or apply your own statement to good old wired telephony. Or analog
broadcast media. You'll notice that what you are saying is that because
of the underlying technology changes, all of a sudden our privacy
expectations should change.

Regards,

  Walter