[Cryptography] [cryptography] Secure universal message addressing

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 23:44:24 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Allen <allenpmd at gmail.com> wrote:

> How about making the address a Curve25519 public key?

I know a lot of smart cryptographers who think a
one-algorithm-specific-key-to-rule-them-all approach (including, I believe,
the operator of this mailing list) is the best way to go. I don't think so.

I think something that looks like an email address, possibly exactly like
an email address, is the way to go.

UX wise, and despite the recent CCA attacks/gzip oracle, iMessage is far
and away my favorite multi-device messaging platform. iMessage assigns a
unique key per device, and allows keys to be revoked. I think that's the
baseline model for usable E2E messaging.

As far as how to actually pull that off in the real-world, CONIKS seems
like a start: https://coniks.cs.princeton.edu/

--
Tony Arcieri