[Cryptography] Other obvious issues being ignored?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Oct 22 02:25:18 EDT 2015

On 10/21/2015 08:29 PM, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> Do you
> really want someone who has to constantly refer to a Checklist of Boneheaded
> Security Mistakes to be writing your crypto code?  If you walked into a
> hospital for surgery and your surgeon started flipping through "Introduction
> to Open-heart Surgery for Dummies", would you feel comfortable going under the
> knife?

Do you really want to go up on an airplane with a pilot and crew who
have to check things off on a safety checklist with stupid crap like
making sure the landing gear works and the cabin pressure is good?
Even, you know, as a reminder that it's worth checking?

Aviation checklists do not mean that the people who use them are
incompetent.  Neither do software development checklists.

But as I said, I have to make a compelling case as to why something
that may seem boneheaded is being included, so I need a story
illustrating its reality and the value of asking it, to go with
every darn question.

				Bear