[Cryptography] Other obvious issues being ignored?

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Tue Oct 20 15:29:32 EDT 2015

On 10/19/2015 06:10 AM, Thierry Moreau asked:

> What other "obvious" questions are we ignoring?

Another item:

Although we are quite rightly worried about our privacy and security'
being taken away by governments and by criminal syndicates ... we
should also be worried about *corporations* doing stuff that is
nominally legal but nevertheless highly abusive and intrusive.

As it says in the Book of Revelations, it is a sign of the End Times:
  "no one was allowed to buy or sell things unless he bore
   the mark of the beast--that is, his name or his number."

I mention that because can't buy anything at Costco without having
your purchases tracked, even if you pay cash.  You can't buy
anything at Fry's Foods unless you identify yourself, or pay
a huge penalty.  You can't buy anything online without having
your purchases tracked.

There are private firms setting up cameras to record license
plate numbers, so that they know where everybody is at all
times.

The phone company tracks the location of your phone, in far
more detail than is needed for simply placing or receiving
calls.

These are obvious problems.  The fact that I don't know how to
fix them doesn't make them any less obvious, or any less terrible.